As of now, around 53,000 Route Kilometres (RKMs) of Indian Railways are fully electrified out of a total of 65,141 RKMs, as compared to just 22,000 kms in 2014. The remaining 12,000 kms will be electrified by December 2023

Indian Railways used around 270 crore litres of Diesel back in 2013. This figure will reduce to less than 20 crore litres of diesel by December 2023.

In Rail Budget 2016, the outlay for railway electrification was increased by almost 50%. Indian Railways gave a renewed thrust to infrastructure development in the year 2019-20.

As of December 2021, around 63% of our 13,000+ passenger trains were running on Electric locomotives and the remaining 37% on diesel locos, which will reduce further.

Indian Railways is aiming for 100% electrification to reduce carbon emissions and improve train operations efficiency in order to become the world’s largest Green Railways by 2030.

Indian Railways is aiming for 100% electrification to reduce carbon emissions and improve train operations efficiency in order to become the world’s largest Green Railways by 2030.

India is already way ahead of other countries with comparable networks in the percentage of tracks electrified. This lead will increase further as no other major railways are targeting 100% electrification.

Indian Railways electrified 52,247 Route Kilometres (RKMs) till March 31, 2022 which is about 80% of the total broad-gauge network (65,141 RKMs) of Indian Railways.

The pace of electrification has gathered momentum in the last few years as since 2014, a record 30,446 RKM has been electrified against electrification of 3,874 RKM during 2007-14.

52,247 RKM electrified so far on pan India basis 50% has been electrified only during the last five years.